As the Husband of an incredible wife, I want make life better for her. When she cries and mascara runs down her face (honey, you know you love my mascara jokes), I want to do anything I can to make it stop. Naturally, as a husband I will protect my wife when she faces danger, get her nice things to spoil her and take her on that dream vacation to show her a great time. Good husbands will do anything to make their wives better in any way possible--physically, emotionally and financially. Unfortunately, a lot of us husbands forget to help our loved ones with the most powerful tool we have--prayer.
"I'm not going to let anybody pray for my wife more than me!"
-Pastor Tim Forsthoff
If you want the best for your wife, you need to pray for her. This last week I received a challenge to pray for my wife more than anybody on Earth. There are several things I don't want people to do for my wife more than me. I don't want people to win her heart, make her laugh or create babies with her more than me (especially creating babies). Prayer is incredibly powerful, intimate and effective. Through out the Bible we see prayer end droughts, raise the dead and shape nations. In my life, I've seen prayer directly protect me from death, change the lives of hundreds of thousands of people and heal the sick. Considering all these things, why would I let anybody pray for my wife more than me? This is my duty. My privilege. I want to do everything I can to take care of my wife. As husbands, we need to war on behalf of our wives in the spiritual realm. Especially if things aren't as we know they should or could be, prayer is essential.
What to Pray?
It can feel overwhelming to start, so here are some of the topics I use to pray for my wife.
Here are 7 Things I Pray For My Wife:
- Whatever God Wants. Ask God what He wants you to pray. He knows what she needs before your wife.
- Whatever She wants. Ask her. I'm sure she'll have a list for you.
- Relationship with God. Pray she finds intimacy with God the Father and fresh fire for her Spiritual walk. Ask for her ears to hear clearly from the Lord.
- Purpose/Influence. Pray for her to walk in God's purpose for her life. Pray her influence is multiplied and her gifts and talents are used for God's Glory.
- Health. Pray her body is filled with life and life more abundantly.
- Emotions. Pray for her emotions to be filled with joy, peace and balanced with great health.
- Friendships. Pray for her to have strong friendships with people who celebrate her and she can be vulnerable with.
Of course this is not an exhaustive list of prayers, but it will help you better your wife. In the Scriptures, Husbands are told to love their wives as Jesus loved the Church (Eph 5:25). What better way to love our wives than to be connected to God and fight on our loved one's behalf.
Husbands, don't let anybody pray for your wife more than you!
Question: What are other things a husband should pray?